

On the morning of January 15th, we saw our first large snake outside our house. It was about one meter long, but thin. It slithered across our driveway and into the neighbor's bushes. The Thai woman next door told us that she didn't think it was a cobra. (FYI - there are many types of cobras, vipers, and kraits that are deadly in Thailand, so it is always best to assume that a snake is dangerous.) Tre got a couple of nice pictures, and shortly afterwards, we forgot about it. Six hours later, I was out doing a few errands on the motorbike. As I was driving along on my way home, I felt something brush against my ankle. I looked down expecting to see a leaf or something. Instead, I looked down and saw the snake slithering up my leg! Scared the shit out of me!!! I'm embarassed to say, I did the stereotypical scream, hit the brakes hard, and leaped off the bike. Of course, the opposite of what I know you “should” do. We laugh about it now since I didn't get bitten and die. Wouldn't that be terrible luck - survive a motorbike accident only to be killed by a snake a month later?!?! Anyway, the snake was apparently hiding somewhere in the bike and did some errands with me to the market, gas station, etc. I'm a bit paranoid now, and I will be checking the bike for snakes in the future!