Alright, an update on our condition… We are continuing to slowly heal. We’ve been trying to get out to the beach, friends’ houses, festivals, etc. as much as possible. We’re getting around fairly well.
Tre: His leg (femur) still appears to be healing ok. He had x-rays last week, and it shows that the bone is healing properly. It is still not completed healed though. He does not need to use his crutches anymore – so he can walk and swim, but not run. It looks like he’ll most likely have the follow-up surgery to remove the plate and screws in late-May or early-June. Fun. Fun.
Ashley: The laceration on the top of my foot still hasn’t completely healed! There’s still about 1 stubborn centimeter (1/4 inch) to go. Unfortunately, in the tropics, that means I still have a high risk of infection. I got impatient two weeks ago, and went swimming at the beach two days. It felt wonderful! No pain, and so good to get some exercise after waiting so long! I tried waterproofing it and swam a kilometer at the beach each day. It didn’t work… A day later, I was back at the hospital with an infection. Stubborn as I am, two days later, I tried a different waterproofing technique that DID work! I went snorkeling and saw two black tip reef sharks, and I swam a kilometer at the beach. The laceration is continuing to heal, so hopefully within a week I can reveal the hideous scar that lies hidden underneath all the gauze and bandaging.
I had x-rays last week. Unfortunately, my foot is a repeat situation of my hand – very little bone deposited in 9 weeks! Frustrating. Since the metal plates are in there holding the bones together, I can walk around without my crutches though, so that is kind of exciting.
It looks like I will need another surgery to fix the bottom of my foot. There’s a tendon not working, so I can’t control my big toe, and the bottom was not put together quite right which prohibits me from ever walking properly. We’re trying to figure out the where, when, and who, of how this will take place. Keep you posted…
Anyway, we’ve been getting out to have some fun as well, and trying to enjoy life as best we can. Take a look at the new entries below to see what we’ve been up to. There was a big festival at the Buddhist temple – Wat Chalong, and we went on a weekend trip to Koh Phi Phi – islands off the coast of Phuket.