Life has been continuing on in much the same manner since our last entry. We are at the 7-week mark since the accident. The healing process is a test of patience. Since my previous injuries (broken hand, broken rib, etc.), I’ve gotten better at being patient. However, I’m definitely reaching my threshold… :) I always imagined that the lacerations on my foot would heal several weeks before the broken bones, and assumed I would be swimming for physical therapy. That has not been the case. It looks like they’ll be healing around the same time. Looking at the ocean for 7 weeks, and not being able to touch it, is one of the worst tortures someone could devise for me.
Anyway, we are both continuing to slowly heal. Our exciting advancement in the past two days, is that we’ve both started trying to walk without our crutches. This isn’t exactly with our surgeons’ approval or advice, but it feels like the time is right, so we’re giving it a try. We’re both keeping the distance to a minimum, and not putting 100% body weight on the broken bone. Three weeks ago, Tré’s surgeon said he could put 50% body weight on it with the bone 80% healed. We calculate that it’s been three weeks, so it can handle more than that now. I put most of my weight on my heal and very little weight on the ball of my foot, but it feels productive to get my foot and toes moving in a walking motion.
So, we’ve been back at school for 2 ½ weeks now. It’s going ok. It’s a little challenging to work with the pain, and trying to keep my foot elevated most of the time, but it’s fine. With needing help to get around, the driver who hit us has offered to help. We rode in the van with the driver last week. It was odd to see the dent in the vehicle from us, and to ride with him. Strange...
Let’s see… medical update. Tré continues to appear to be healing well. He’ll get x-rays again next week at the 8-week mark. I’m on some neurological pain killers that are more effective in blocking out the pain as a result of all the nerve damage, and sleeping pills are helping me to get a good night’s sleep. More medicine than I’m used to taking, but it is helping to get through the days. Still a lot of pain, swelling, etc. The 6-inch laceration along the length of my foot, is almost completely closed. It’s taken forever! I’m really hoping that within 3-5 days, I can go for my first swim! I get x-rays next week as well. Neither of us will really be able to tell how the bones have healed until after we really start to begin walking, running, etc. again and seeing how they function and feel.
Here’s an interesting tidbit. Usually if you put rubbing alcohol on an open wound (even a really small scratch or razor knick), it stings like crazy, right? I have a two-inch open laceration remaining on the top of my foot. I can literally pour alcohol over it, and I don’t feel a thing. Odd??? So, my nurse and doctor friends, why is this??? Nerve damage?
Anyway, we have gotten out to do a few interesting things, so I’ll try to add some blogs for them as well. Our motto has been that we are thankful to be alive, and that we are trying to enjoy the simple pleasures in life rather than the grand adventures.
1. January 22nd ~ about 5 weeks after accident.